Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tariku's 1st Year!

Sunday, March 13th, marked the anniversary of Tariku being home. We got him in Ethiopia on March 6th and on the 13th, he met his three waiting sisters late that evening. That night he was so shy and didn't know what to think. As I look back, I can't help but see God's protective hand on Tariku's heart. He went right to us in Ethiopia with no tears and just held so tightly to us. He was calling me ma on day 3 of meeting me. Vince and I had taken him out to play in our guest house's courtyard. When Tariku fell in the grass, he screamed with fear, because he had never seen or felt grass before. He hated baths and showers, because he was probably used to cold water and quick washings. The first night we got home, I got in the bath with him and he started to scream, but quickly got over it when we handed a baby doll with a bottle to feed her with. Now he loves bath time, loves Dora and Bob the Builder, guns and vacuums, and of course, the girls' barbie doll cars that he sits on and scoots around the house in. I think all the wheels are all bent out now! This year has been one of the best on record for our family! Just having him home and getting to rock him to sleep every afternoon, singing "Down to the River to Pray"--his favorite--is the sweetest gift in the world!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Julie!

I remember you talking about this at Jenny Tyler's wedding! I'm so glad everything has worked out beautifully! I'm excited to see you have a blog (via Vince's FB page), I miss seeing your pretty face! :)

-Kristen Woodward

Fit to Thrive said...

I love this. I love your family! God is so good!!

The Free State Farmgirls said...

Ohhh, I used to sing that song to Isaiah, too!!! And welcome to the world of boys--they'll ride anything that remotely looks like a vehicle, and too bad if the wheels get bent.

This post really spoke to me--how if we're not used to the better things in life (I'm thinking of God's many good gifts), we tend to be afraid of them, and it takes a while to let ourselves relax into such love. I still deal with this very thing in my life in different ways. I didn't realize it until I read this post. :) LOVE YOU!