Thursday, November 10, 2011

Our Crazy Summer Vacation






What is it with our luck with vacations? My 29th birthday consisted of a non-cruise cruise, braid-headed girls crying as they were left with their parents, knowing they would not be going with the rest of the family on the long awaited cruise. This trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone was going to fill my soul with God's glorious creation--animals, mountains, geysers and more. I needed it and our kids were so excited. We had asked Titus' Dr. if we could go with his leg in the cast or if we should just reschedule. He assured us twice that we could go and if it got dirty (ie, wet or poopy) we could just have it taken off at the nearest hospital. It started out great and we did make it to South Dakota. We got to see the Black Hills, Reptile Gardens, Mt. Rushmore, Bear Country and many beautiful things. Our last night in SD we went to a brewery to eat. Then Titus proceeded to have the wettest, stinkiest blowout I had ever seen. It was everywhere--like Titus must be sick--everywhere! So we called that night, went to an orthopedic clinic the next afternoon and found out they would not TOUCH his cast. Didn't want to be liable. So we had to drive 16.5 hours back, through the night, arriving at 6:30 am with 4 kids, so that Titus could get it taken off at Children's Mercy. When I found out, I just SOBBED! REALLY?!!! I was so mad, so discouraged and just mad I wasn't going to get to experience Yellowstone with the kids. But, it makes for a great story--one to be told at T's wedding... "Remember the vacation we had to cut short b/c you pooped your pants!" :) We spent the night at home and the kids decided they wanted to finish the last week in St. Louis. Unbelievable... It was crazy though, before I found out for sure that we would have to go home, the Lord gave me twice, in two different instances, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9. I knew when I had received these that we were going home and that I needed to trust that even though I do not understand, God sees everything and knows whats best. Still stunk though---literally.

1 comment:

Justin and Gi said...

We are with you....four times we have had to reschedule things because our kids were sick.
But a poopy cast...now that takes the cake. And I like the photos!
Hard sometimes isn't it?
With ya and Hugs,
Gi